Resources banner

Resources Available to Youth Pursuing College

Ever wonder how you were going to pay for college, or who can afford to go to college? This fact sheet will answer those questions and direct you to the right places for more information.

College is affordable and available to YOU!

"Before you can make a dream come true, you must first have one." Ronald E. McNair Ph.D., 2nd African American Astronaut

  • All students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students can access online by clicking here or by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID. The deadline for the application is March 1st. In order to receive loan money, the Pell grant for low-income students or other aid, the student MUST complete the FAFSA.
  • The Tuition Incentive Program (TIP) helps pay for tuition and fees. Contact 1-888-4GRANTS for eligibility requirements or click here for more information.
  • Education and Training Vouchers (ETV) up to $5,000 towards school-related costs and living fees. It is for youth that were in foster care after the age of 14. Contact Samaritas for eligibility requirements at (877)-660-METV or click here to visit their website.
  • Fostering Futures Scholarship is a State of Michigan program that provides scholarships to young adults who have experienced foster care. The FFS is available on a first-come, first-served basis. The maximum award amount is determined annually by SSG. Funding amounts vary based on need and any other financial aid the student is receiving. Awards pay a maximum of $3,000 per academic year. All future awards are subject to approved and available funding. For more information, click here.
  • Fostering Success Michigan is a statewide initiative that provides resources and inspiration for youth and alumni of foster care. For more information, click here.
  • Youth in Transition (YIT) is another funding source that can provide financial support. If the youth still has unmet needs, the YIT fund source is available until the youth turns 23 years old. Please note that YIT is unable to pay for educational expenses and college specific costs. It can, however, pay for certain approved expenses while in college. For questions or to apply contact your local DHS office.
  • Casey Family Scholars Program provides scholarships of up to $6,000 per academic year for young people who spent at least 12 months in foster care prior to their 18th birthday; OR have been adopted or placed into legal guardianship from foster care after their 16th birthday; OR they must have been orphaned for at least one year at the time of their 18th birthday. Check out the Foster Care to Success website by clicking here.
  • Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver pays tuition for students who are at least ¼ American Indian. Youth apply directly to the financial aid office. The Inter-Tribal Council of Michigan approves this award. Contact Melissa Kiesewetter at 517-241-7748.
  • The Detroit Scholarship Fund or Detroit Promise is administered by the Detroit Regional Chamber and ensures that any student graduating from a high school in the city of Detroit will have free tuition to gain an associate degree or technical certificate at any one of participating community colleges. Applicants must be Detroit residents and must have attended a Detroit high school for at least 2 years. For more information, click here.
  • Macomb Community College now has a Youth in Transition Scholarship Program for all youth interested in attending Macomb Community College for FREE. For more information, click here

  • Find your Michigan Community College here.
  • Find your Michigan University here.
  • Find your Michigan Vocational Institution here.

EXCITING NEWS: The following schools now have Independent Living Skills Coaches on campus:
Other websites to check out:
Foster Care

General Financial Aid

Schools in Michigan
Michigan Public Educational Institutions
Michigan Private Educational Institutions
Online Degrees in Michigan